Friday, January 31, 2014

YEA!

Today looked gloomy to the eye, yet veteran pilots agreed it would be good today. They were right!
Launch was draped in cloud as we got there early. It felt cool and refreshing after the stout hike up the stairs. My solo glider felt light on my back and I felt nervous excitement. 
I was off early with Farmer and we climbed to base on a straight glide from launch. This was a welcome change from my sinky fast launch.  
Cloudbase was at or below launch level, so we stayed busy staying up, but not in the clouds. 
My group and I chose to chase the xc group and we did a great job all the way back towards La Union. Shaun landed first, distracted by a noisy radio and opted to fly out to fix it. It was the right call, but it cost him a lengthy flight this time. 
Two left in my group now, as we crossed west of our town and the next transition looked reasonable enough, yet it proved to be the crux of the flight.  One more in the group landed safely here. 

Somehow my last guy, Scott and I dug out and got to cloud again with the remaining handful of pilots, who were poised to cross the valley to La Victoria. I found a weak climb that Dawn spotted but left and gained a few hundred feet.  Scott couldn't get it and landed  safely near La Victoria in the middle of the valley. 

Feeling bold I cut the corner to a spot where it looked milky above in the blue sky while the others climbed slowly over the town. My climb never came and I limped back over the town just a few hundred feet over the town center. 
A soccer field accommodated yet another pilot on the city edge. Suddenly there were birds (vultures) everywhere turning in light lift. They saved us all. 
Eventually we all topped out and I shot south to some lovely clouds and was in lift for the entire transition. Yes. 
The call to go north was very much abandoned at this point as we all headed south. The new plan was to continue south to tag Zarzal, cross back west to Roldanillo and then back north to our town of La Union. Dawn opted to fly back at this point as she had enough fun for one day. Thankfully, she remained at the soccer stadium calling wind conditions on radio as we headed around the new course trying to arrive before the strong west wind pushed through. 
Brian's last pilot landed near Roldanillo, and after confirming he was safe, Brian joined Farmer and his last guy, Jim. We caught a patient climb then I shot to the mountains carefully looking for signs of the west wind. Not here yet. Good. 

We landed hapy and tired after a 4.5 hour flight for me, and 4:50 for Famer. The kids were curious and exited to see each of us as we landed. 
A half mile hike to the town center and we found Cipriano in the big jeep. Yes! He kindly hauled our gear to the hotel while we hit the favorite juice bar where Dawn and Jim had already ordered us fresh French fries (papas fritas) and kindly treated us to fresh juice.  Yum!
We hopped a cab back to the hotel, where Dawn and Farmer each gave great presentations for an hour or so each.  Dinner is just minutes away, and the weather looks super for tomorrow. 
I'm in love with my wife and kids, but Colombia is a close second! Cheers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment