Sunday, February 15, 2015

Catorce

Today looked about right. I was up early and watched the sunrise, it was muted and average, just what we want for a good day of flying here. 
As the morning evolved, we were able to see a volcano in the distance that none of us have ever seen before. Usually there is too much cloud cover but today it must have been 100 mile visibility for a breif time. The middle red flagpole points up to the volcano on the horizon. 
Breakfast was a clubhouse sandwich of sorts, but I took out the middle slice of bread to make it just a sandwich with tomatoes, avos and white cheese. Yum. Pineapple smoothie and coffee too. 
Saltines and various meds, including activated charcoal were in demand today. 

For some reason, several pilots in the tour and one guide are not feeling tip top today. We hoped everyone would feel better with a day of rest as we left them behind to conveless. 
Once on launch it was nice to see my longtime friend Kari Castle down here guiding a tour of her own with some other guides as well. Richie, from Venezuela was here last week too with his group. He is a regular here as is the Eagle tour. 
The horses keep launch groomed to perfection. 

A few pilots launched early, which is a good thing here, but they were not rewarded for their efforts and after struggling to find lift, they landed out in front at Oscar's LZ. The sky clouded over and climbs became weaker and less frequent.
More pilots launched, and together they were able to map out the lift and climb up to cloud. Once all the pilots in my group were away I lunched and carefully made my way to the jumping off spot to recycle and wait with them until it looked like a good tilme to cross. One of my guys landed early after launching first. It was a hard pill to swallow for pilot and guide because he did everything right, and was merely unlucky trying to find the house thermal that is usually there, but not this time. 

My last two guys launched and were able to connect. Tim worked hard to get up and succeeded to get to cloud base, followed by Chris who climbed out with me. Tim said he was going to cross to the next ridge, and I said ok, and that we would catch up to him.  I was thinking he meant the jumping off spot, where we all wait together but he apparently was thinking to cross to Roldanillo. 
The sky shaded with clouds yet several pilots got up and established near "the jumping off spot. As I recycled with Chris, I looked for Tim who reported he was low and wanted help.  This is when I realized he had crossed without me before I could launch and catch up to him. We must have misunderstood each other. He landed soon after, trapped in the valley wind after crossing too low with other pilots who also didn't know to wait. Rats. 
Eventually Chris and I crossed with the other Eagle pilots and guides and got established after long patient climbs. I shot ahead to he south to hunt for he next good climb. It was sunnier ahead and moving on seemed like the best way to stay aloft. I found a great climb and tried to cajole Chris and the others to join me before it was over.  Most made it over, but a few arrived late, gliding into a growing cloud shadow that is often the result of a solid climb. Chris arrived last and had only scraps of lift. He would spend the next hour delaying the inevitable in depending shade as the whole sky grew dark and even those who got the climb there, were forced to hang on. Chris held on for ever it seemed and I was nearly as low as him as we neared a safe landing area at the edge of Roldanillo. He made one mre play for a small foothill and I followed for a look. I had maybe 100 feet more altitude and was able to just clear the top of the foothill. Chris was working light lift in a figure eight pattern, too close to the terrain to commit to a circle. I was able to do the same just above the small peak and soon I could circle and climb away leaving him to land and pack up with the others. Helova fight, Chris.  As I carefully climbed, the sun came out some more and soon I was back at cloud base. Only 2 other guides were still in the air, and Dawn, who is here training for the Red-Bull X-Alps with Eagle guide Matt Beechinoor. Matt was among the other sick pilots today so Bradley was with she and her husband Jim today. Jim landed farther south and texted me he was on a bus back. Dawn flew to La Vitoria and Bradley, Brian and I headed home to La Union. 
Lunch at Grijales was excellent, if not a little expensive for what we are used to. This plate was 14,000 Colombian pesos ($7.00 U.S.). 
Across the street from the restaurant...
Grapes are plentiful here.  

Dinner was a giant tamale wrapped in banana leaves. Yum. People seemed to be feeling better that were sick today. I went to bed early and slept well.  I hadn't charged my stuff or reset for the day as I normally do. It will be busy for me tomorrow am. 
I'm finishing this a day late.  Happy Valentine's Day my love, besos!
Smooch!

Ciao,
Marín







No comments:

Post a Comment