Friday, February 13, 2015

Doce (12)

Today looked "normal" to me and I had high hopes (as usual) with a tad more expectation. 
I woke early, readied my gear and had a coffee by the pool as I waited for breakfast. 
Simple fried eggs, avo wedge and fried banana (plantain?) did the trick with guava juice and a roll. 
There was a mystery meat too, but I steered clear. 
Found a cool bug on launch that looked like it had glue on its back and had been dipped in dirt and plant bits. Total camouflage when it wasn't moving. 
Cloudbase was higher than previous days and a local pilot launched and went to base with ease at 9:30 am, as he does every day. What are we waiting for?
Everyone got launched and most everyone had flights of at least an hour or so. For about 8 of us, it was a 4 hour tour. 
Several groups headed south to Roldanillo together and stayed high at the clouds, making the transition to the flats by tanking up at the antennas on the south side of town. Most everyone got e climb there but the crossing took its toll, grounding several pilots in the center of the valley while a few hung in there as I hung out up and down from cloudbase for two hours trying to coach them away from the ground below. 
Several sugar cane fields were burning slowly and he smoke was working to mark the lift. It's potentially very turbulent in string fires but this one smoldered and burned for hours keeping me and two others airborne all the while.  
Eventually Brian and the remains of his group circled back and we made a play for La Union. Clyde and Marge landed back below launch on the way back and a newer pilot, Phil, pressed on landing just a few km short of the soccer stadium to complete a person best flight of 3 hours and 55 minutes.  I told him we'd be okay with him rounding it up to an even 4 hours this time. (Wink)
Brian and I had an easy glide back to town, landing easily in nearly full shade at the stadium.  
Once back in town we got our favorite smoothie and two empanadas each. Bliss. 
This juice bar is also a panaderia (bakery) and I had to snap this pick for my daughter Mia, who has requested I bring some of these home.  I can't imagine it making it all the at home intact, as we share a common sweet tooth. Sorry Mia!
We crammed into a Tuk Tuk taxi and were at the hotel in no time. I showered and did laundry, hung my clothes to dry, pointed the fan at them and took a nap. 
Rob gave a great presentation and that took us to dinner time. Rice, grilled chicken with mushroom sauce, chopped lentil, tomato and herb salad  and rice pudding for desert. Yum. 
Lots of discussions took place at and after dinner and now I'm writing this befor I get to bed early tonight.  Chances are it will be great again.  
Ciao,
Martín

No comments:

Post a Comment