Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Treinta

First day of the last group was wet and it had rained on BOTH sides of the valley the night before. Perfect. It was dry, strong and windy on the last day of tour 3. Hard reset achieved. 

Breakfast went well, and I realized my phone data and voice was about to expire. I asked Julian if he could phone in a recharge for my minutes and he said "of course" with a smile and went to work. There was some sort of problem, and without hesitation he zoomed off on his scooter to town to solve it. We ate breakfast, had an introductory  discussion and prepared to leave. Julian was still working on the phone until the last second. Success. I told him there was a big tip in his future. 

The ride up was somewhat subdued at first. Eventually Flaco played some music, including the Bee Gees, The Village People, and Led Zeppelin. Love this guy. 
The horse was waiting to be saddled up when we arrived ahead of the Cipri. 
Low clouds gave us plenty of time for an orientation chat. 
As if on que, the sky opened up a we began launching pilots into the light lift, most everyone getting established as the day improved. Sweet!
Bianca, thermal huntress. 

I was supposed to take Petrus (Peter) today, but the new arrival Bianca lost her glider bag on a quick connecting flight from Miami. No glider = tandem. She is a very experienced pilot and kept me on my toes as we thermals up to cloud.
Eventually I handed over the controls and she stayed above most everyone for the rest of the flight as I took pictures, video and ate snacks. Awesome. 
The wind was an unusual easterly, drifting us back towards La Union after getting to base near La Vitoria on the other side of the valley. Not wanting to land, we climbed out over La Union with Rob Sporrer and Brian Howell, both on tandem as well, an headed for Roldanillo.

Rob landed first at the airstrip just east of Roldanillo so we headed that way. The bumblebee was too low to make it, landing just short, and we landed right next to Rob as he indicated light and variable winds. Everyone was accouted for and we were picked up in 15 minutes by the Cipri. We were chewing chicken and slurping smoothies within the hour. Perfect day. 
Dinner started promptly at 7:00, having finished our 5:00 group discussion early, giving individual groups time to debrief with thier guides. 
Everyone was tired but fired up nonetheless. After dinner, however, very few lingered, and most were in bed by 8:00. 

I was trying to watch an episode of game of thrones on my computer when my phone jarred me from my semiconscious state. A FaceTime call from home actually connected with minimal delay and perfec image quality. Yes!  I got to see and talk to my family for the second time in as many days. I'm defiantly missing them but the days are ticking away and I will see them soon. Thank you iPhone!

This group seems to have warmed up to us right away. Normally it seems to take a day it two, This is a Lucille Ball kinda group:  "Instant chummy" is how I'd describe it. The guides all have been honing thier talks, presentations and delivery of information.  Everyone seems to be at an optimal level. A well oiled machine. It is so much fun, for everyone. 

Dulces Sueños,
Martín


No comments:

Post a Comment